Mabbett is providing professional Architectural and Engineering services necessary to develop design drawings, and specifications to upgrade the mental health facilities in Building 5 at the VA Boston Healthcare System – Brockton Campus. Renovation work is intended to meet current VA mental health guidelines and to address Facilities Condition Assessment Report findings. Mabbett conducted preliminary project programming meetings with nine separate VA mental health programs and VA engineering to balance mental health program needs with other critical Building 5 infrastructure improvements.
One significant challenge to this project was developing a construction phasing plan by building wing to allow for phased, organized relocation of occupants to maintain essential mental health services during construction. The intent of the project and scope or services included:
- Correction of findings from the Facilities Condition Assessment Report.
- Managing stakeholder coordination meetings to identify program and infrastructure improvements.
- Identifying program and layout improvements to improve service and efficiency of services.
- Creating supporting interior finishes and furniture program specific to veteran’s needs.
- Upgrading building infrastructure including plumbing, electrical, HVAC, IT, sprinkler, heating, and roof systems.
- Improving Accessibility accommodations for multiple requirements.
- Developing phasing plans to keep the mental health service occupied.